Discussion: View Thread

Upcoming Webinar - Follow Me and Like My Beautiful Selfies": Social Media Use and Adolescent Mental Health (NSBA CSS/CPE)

• 1.  Upcoming Webinar - Follow Me and Like My Beautiful Selfies": Social Media Use and Adolescent Mental Health (NSBA CSS/CPE)

Posted 09-08-2022 07:35:00 AM

NSBA's Center for Safe Schools and Center for Public Education will be hosting a webinar with Mental Health America on Tuesday, 9/12 at 2pm EST. Additional information can be found below

Follow Me and Like My Beautiful Selfies": Social Media Use and Adolescent Mental Health

Description:

More teenagers are using social media, and more adolescents are suffering from poor mental health. Universally, social media use became more common during the pandemic because of social distancing and COVID-caused isolation. Social media can provide platforms for bullying and exclusion, unrealistic expectations about body image and sources of popularity, and normalizing risk-taking behaviors, and can be harmful to mental health. However, if adolescents use social media in a purposeful and positive way, it can enhance their self-esteem and help create meaningful social connections.

This webinar will focus on helping school and community leaders understand the association between social media use and adolescents' mental health and explore what actionable steps are being taken across the country to help address these challenges. The Center for Public Education (CPE) of the National School Boards Association (NSBA) reviewed over a hundred relevant empirical studies, professional or federal research papers, and media articles.

Join the NSBA's CPE and Center for Safe Schools for this free 60-minute webinar where we will:

• Discuss what adolescent mental health issues have manifested the most during the pandemic.
    • Identify how teenagers use social media and what research says about the association between social media use and adolescents' mental health.
    • Review professional recommendations, state policies, and local practices that have been adopted to promote positive use of social media and mental well-being.

Registration Linkhttps://mhanational.org/events/follow-me-and-my-beautiful-selfies-social-media-use-and-adolescent-mental-health

------------------------------
    Adam Lustig
    Director, Center for Safe Schools
    National School Boards Association
    Alexandria, VA
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Upcoming Webinar - Follow Me and Like My Beautiful Selfies": Social Media Use and Adolescent Mental Health (NSBA CSS/CPE)

Posted 09-08-2022 07:37:00 AM

*Tuesday, 9/13

Sent from Mail for Windows